Who We Are
Sage Senior Partners share certain key values. At our most basic roots, we are family-first advisors who practice safe money strategies.
We focus on those critical years in life where safe growth and asset protection are a must. Our clients are generally in their late 40’s to late 60’s and come to us seeking strategic guidance for Life’s Big Decisions: retirement planning, college funding, lifetime income, tax reduction, and maximizing their legacy for those they love. We specialize in safe, simple, sleep-at-night strategies that protect savings from inflation, taxes, and market volatility.
Investment Direction and Philosophy
Our investment direction is determined by the needs, goals and particular situation of each client. For example, some clients come to us looking for guaranteed income. Others are looking to boost returns. Still others may be looking to minimize taxes, or leave a large legacy. So the most important thing for us to do is to listen — to get an understanding of your wants and concerns — and then collaborate on a plan to help you reach your goals.
Our philosophy is a “safety first” approach. When we reach our 50’s, 60’s 70’s, we have to change our perspective from accumulation mode to protection and distribution mode. Losses become extra expensive, and need to be minimized. There are 4 sharks that can take a bite out of your savings:
- market volatility
- health issues
It’s our responsibility to protect you from all four.
3 Ways We’re different
- 1. We’re independent advisors. That means we can find what’s best for our clients rather than pushing the agenda of a large firm. We don’t represent a large firm, we represent you.
- 2. We manage to a fiduciary standard rather than suitability standard. Here’s how the United States Government Accountability Office describes the difference:
“While investment advisers are subject to a federal fiduciary duty, brokers are subject to a “suitability” standard, which is generally considered to be a lower standard of responsibility than the fiduciary standard. Investment advisers are required to manage their client’s portfolio such that investments are not just suitable, but are in the best interest of the client.”
- 3. We take a holistic approach. Investing doesn’t happen in a vacuum. How and when you claim Social Security, for example, will affect your supplemental income, which in turn affects your other savings — and all three may be affected by your having to care for an older parent or dependent. We consider ourselves a solution source that you can turn to as needed.
- How to ensure we don’t run out of money before we run out of life.
- Ways to earn higher interest on “safe money” than bank CDs.
- How to get access to best-in-class money managers without having to invest a million dollars.
- What are some alternatives to expensive long term care plans?
- Ways to protect wealth from taxes, probate and lawsuits.
- How to simplify your finances.
- We’re not from Wall Street. It comes as a surprise to people when we show them that they don’t have to risk their money to grow it. You can comfortably take care of your needs – and ensure you never run out of money during your lifetime – without suffering the Wall Street rollercoaster.
- We have a unique perspective. Most savers spend all their time and energies accumulating assets for retirement. If you are over age 50, your focus needs to change. Otherwise you’re setting yourself up to lose large chunks of your savings by not planning for what happens during the distribution phase. We believe a proper portfolio should be tax-efficient, offer a hedge against inflation and have the flexibility to provide for planned and unplanned needs in the future.
- Making the Complex Simple. We’re not sure which compliment we enjoy more, when someone says, “No one has ever told me about this stuff before” or “No one’s ever explained it to me so simply.” Either way, we enjoy taking complex, intimidating concepts and making them easy to understand. A big part of our mission is consumer education. We offer complimentary workshops, consumer reports and website content on a host of topics including retirement planning, college planning, Social Security maximization, “income for life” strategies, and tax mitigation. Thousands of people have attended our conferences and seminars. We have also been featured experts in the New York Times, Forbes, AOL Finance, Newark Star-Ledger, and Kiplinger’s. Best-selling books we’ve co-authored include Cash for College, and the soon to be released, Control Your Taxes for business owners.
These are things we help clients with. And if we don’t have the expertise in-house, we have a team of experts we can call on.
Other Reasons Our Clients Choose Us
Safe Money Strategies and Guaranteed Income are backed by the financial strength and claims paying ability of the issuing insurance company and may be subject to caps, restrictions, fees and surrender charges as described in the annuity contract.
Fiduciary duty extends solely to investment advisory advice and does not extend to other activities such as insurance product sales, including annuities, life insurance, and long term care insurance or broker dealer services. Advisory clients are charged a quarterly fee for assets under management while insurance products pay a commission, which may result in a conflict of interest regarding compensation. IAR is also a licensed insurance agent. In this capacity, IAR may offer fixed life insurance products and receive normal and customary commissions. The client is under no obligation to purchase products through IAR on a commissionable basis. In addition, IAR may receive other compensation such as fixed or variable life trails. The potential for receipt of commissions and other compensation when IAR acts as an insurance agent may give IAR an incentive to recommend insurance products based on the compensation received.